James Allen, PhD
SMed (DMed) 231
University of Minnesota Medical School, Duluth Campus
1035 University Drive
Duluth, MN 55812
Titles & Organizations
Professor and Head, Department of Biobehavioral Health and Population Sciences
Member, Duluth Medical Research Institute
Graduate Faculty, Social & Administrative Pharmacy, College of Pharmacy
Awards & Recognition
- Fulbright Lecturer/Research Fellowship, 2003-2004
- Martin Mayman Award for Distinguished Contribution to Personality Assessment
PhD, University of Montana (Clinical Psychology, APA-accredited), 1990
BA, University of Wisconsin-Madison (Psychology and History), 1984
Hutchings Psychiatric Institute, Pre-doctoral Internship in Clinical Psychology, APA-accredited,1989
I am a licensed psychologist with interests in individual and family therapy. Current work focuses on multilevel community intervention promoting for American Indian/Alaska Native, and rural community health.
Current studies explore the e?ectiveness of culturally grounded preventive strategies for suicide, substance use, and health promotion; youth and community level resilience; prevention of vascular risk; cultural issues in health services; and community based participatory research. For almost two decades our team has collaborated in a research relationship with Alaska Native community partnerships to discover Alaska Native pathways to sobriety and reasons for life as a positive framework for suicide and substance abuse prevention. We now are engaged in work developing and testing a cultural intervention for rural Alaska native youth grounded in these findings. We seek to establish the first evidence based practice for Alaska Native people through these NIMHD, NIAAA, and NIDA funded projects. Our team also participated in a collaborative NSF project describing the resilience strategies of circumpolar indigenous youth and the community resilience resources youth drew on, and an NINDS funded project on epidemiology of stroke and vascular risk in Alaska Native people. Other work studies how to train providers to provide health services to diverse cultural groups. While a Fulbright scholar at the University of Oslo, I developed an additional ongoing research interest in the experience of international refugees.
Research Funding Grants
- 6/21/13 – 1/31/16, National Institute of Health /National Center for Minority Health and Health Disparities, Qasqiq: Dissemination Using Yup’ik Indigenous Implementation Strategies, Multiple Principal Investigator
- 9/01/13 – 8/31/14, Health Research and Services Administration, Health Careers Opportunity Program, Key Personnel
- 07/01/2014 – 06/30/2019, Comorbidity: Substance Use Disorders and Other Psychiatric Conditions, Multiple Principal Investigator
Selected Peer-Reviewed Publications: see also: PubMed
- Allen, J. (2014). Introduction to ecological description of a multi-level community based cultural intervention: Building prevention through collaborative field based research. American Journal of Community Psychology, 54, 83-90. doi: 10.1007/s10464-014-9644-4
- Allen, J., Mohatt, G. V., Beehler, S., & Rowe, H. (2014). People Awakening: Collaborative research with Alaska Native rural communities to address alcohol use disorders and suicide health disparities. American Journal of Community Psychology, 54, 100-111. doi: 10.1007/s10464-014-9647-1
- Allen, J., Mohatt, G.V., Fok, C.C.T., Henry, D., Burkett, R., & People Awakening Team (2014). Testing a protective factors model for alcohol abuse and suicide prevention among Alaska Native youth. American Journal of Community Psychology, 54, 125-139. doi: 10.1007/s10464-014-9661-3
- Mohatt, G.V., Allen, J., Fok, C.C.T., Henry, D., & People Awakening Team. (2014). Evaluating the feasibility and effects of a cultural intervention for the prevention of suicide and alcohol abuse with Yup’ik Alaska Native youth: The Elluam Tungiinun and Yupiucimta Asvairtuumallerkaa studies. American Journal of Community Psychology, 54, 153–169. doi: 10.1007/s10464-014-9646-2
- Trickett, E. Trimble, J., Allen, J. (2014). Most of the story is missing: Advocating for a more complete intervention story. American Journal of Community Psychology, 54, 180-186. doi: 10.1007/s10464-014-9645-3
- Allen, J., Hopper, K., Wexler, L., Kral, M., Rasmus, S., Nystad, K. (2014). Mapping resilience pathways of Indigenous youth in five circumpolar communities. Transcultural Psychiatry, 51, 601-631. doi: 10.1177/1363461513497232
- Rasmus, S., Ford, T., Allen, J. (2014). “Where I Have to Learn the Ways How to Live:” Youth Resilience in a Yup'ik Village in Alaska. Transcultural Psychiatry, 51, 713-734.
- Rivkin, I. D., Trimble, J., Lopez, E., Johnson, S., Orr, E., & Allen, J. (2013). Disseminating research in rural Yup’ik communities: Challenges and ethical considerations in moving from discovery to intervention development. International Journal of Circumpolar Health, 72, 20958- http://dx.doi.org/10.3402/ijch.v72i0.20958
- McKay, J. C., Vásquez, Á. R., Chipp, C. L., Ford, T. J., Robinson, R. V., Sharma, D. K. B., Johnson, S. H. Nelson, R. A., Boschma-Wynn, R. V., Whipple, J. L., Dulin, P. L., Allen, J. (2013). Divided by miles, connected by purpose: Telepsychology technology in a graduate training program. Training & Education in Professional Psychology, 7(3), 166-173. doi: 10.1037/a0033568
- Allen, J., Fok, C.C.T., Henry, D., Skewes, M., & People Awakening Team (2012). Umyuangcaryaraq “reflecting”: Multidimensional assessment of reflective processes about the consequences of alcohol use among Yup’ik Alaska Native youth. American Journal of Drug and Alcohol Abuse, 38, 5, 468–475. doi:10.3109/00952990.2012.702169
- Henry, D., Allen, J., Fok, C.C.T., Rasmus, S., Charles, B., & People Awakening Team. (2012). Patterns of protective factors in an intervention for the prevention of suicide and alcohol abuse with Yup'ik Alaska Native youth. American Journal of Drug and Alcohol Abuse, 38, 5, 476–482.doi:10.3109/00952990.2012.704460
- Tingvold, L., Hauff, E., Allen, J., & Middelthon, A. (2012). Seeking balance between past and present: Vietnamese refugee parenting practices and adolescent well-being. International Journal of Intercultural Relations, 36, 4, 563-574. doi:10.1016/j.ijintrel.2012.03.004
- Fok, C.C.T., Allen, J., Henry, D., & People Awakening Team The Brief Family Relationships Scale: An adaptation of the relationship dimension of the Family Environment Scale. Assessment. Prepublished November 14, 2011, doi:10.1177/1073191111425856
- Fok, C. C. T., Allen, J., Henry, D., Mohatt, G .V. & People Awakening Team (2012). The Multicultural Mastery Scale for youth: Multidimensional assessment of culturally mediated coping strategies, Psychological Assessment, 24, 2, 313-327. doi: 10.1037/a0025505
- Ford, T., Rasmus, S., & Allen, J. (2012). Being useful: Achieving indigenous youth involvement in a community-based participatory research project in Alaska. International Journal of Circumpolar Health, 71, 18413 - http://dx.doi.org/10.3402/ijch.v71i0.18413
- Tingvold, L., Middelthon, A., Allen, J., & Hauff, E. (2012). Parents and children only? Acculturation and the influence of extended family members among Vietnamese refugees. International Journal of Intercultural Relations, 36, 2, 260–270
- Allen, J., Mohatt, G. V., Markstrom, C. Novins, D., Byers, L. (2012). Oh no, we are just getting to know you: The relationship in research with children and youth in Indigenous communities. Child Development Perspectives,6, 1, 55-60
- Allen, J., Levintova, M. & Mohatt, G.V. (2011). Suicide and alcohol related disorders in the U.S. Arctic: boosting research to address a primary determinant of circumpolar health disparities. International Journal of Circumpolar Health, 70, 473-487
- Mohatt, N., Fok, C. C. T., Burket, R., Henry, D., & Allen, J. (2011). The Ellangumaciq Awareness Scale: Assessment of awareness of connectedness as a culturally-based protective factor for Native American youth.Cultural Diversity & Ethnic Minority Psychology. 17, 444-455
- Ulturgasheva, O., Wexler, L., Kral, M., Allen, J., Mohatt, G.V., Nystad, K. & CIPA Team (2011). Navigating international, community-based participatory health research: Indigenous culture, social change, and negotiating pathways to adulthood in five circumpolar communities. Journal of Community Engagement and Scholarship, 4, 50-59
- Dana, R. H. & Allen, J. (ed.), (2008). Cultural competency training in a global society. NY: Springer.
- Allen, J. & Gonzalez, J., American Indian Suicide. (June, 2014).Invited symposium presentation to the Collaborative Research Center for American Indian Health (CRCAIH) and the Center for Health Outcomes and Prevention Research (CHOPR) of Sanford Research2nd Annual Health Research Summit, Bemidji, MN.
- Allen, J. (May, 2014). Strategies for Community Engaged Measurement Development in Evaluating Translational Research Initiatives. In Dymnicki, A., Henry, D., Webster, D., & Allen, J. New and Novel Approaches to Large Scale Dissemination in Community Based Participatory Research of Prevention and Practices. Symposium presentation at the Society for Prevention Research, Washington, DC.
- Wexler, L., Allen, J., Walkup, J., Cwik, M., Brockie, T. (May, 2014). Promising Areas of Research Focused on the Prevention of American Indian and Alaska Native Suicide. Symposium presentation at the Society for Prevention Research, Washington, DC.
- Boden-Albala, B., Allen, J., Bulkow, L., Roberts, E. T., & Trimble, B. (May, 2014). Ascertainment of Alaska Native Stroke Incidence 2005-2009: The Alaska Native Stroke Registry.Symposium presentation at the American Academy of Neurology, Philadelphia, PA.
- Lewis, J., & Allen, J. (April, 2014). Motivations for Sobriety among Alaska Native Elders. Poster presentation at the Alaska Native Health Research Summit, Anchorage, AK.
- Charles,B. A., Rasmus, S., Allen, J., & Ford, T. (April, 2014). The Qasgiq (Communal House) Model: A Process for Engaging Alaska Native Communities in Research. Invited keynote presentation at the Alaska Native Health Research Summit, Anchorage, AK.
- Allen, J. (April, 2014). Community-Engaged Measure Development for Framing Questions about Culture in Interventions: Culture and Intervention–Measuring Outcomes. Invited presentation at The Way Forward: ACF Research with American Indians and Alaska Natives, Administration for Children and Families (ACF), Office of Planning, Research and Evaluation (OPRE), Washington, DC.
- Allen. J., Ford, T., Oney, R., Kelly, M., Charles, B., Rasmus, S., Fok, C. C. T., Henry, D., & the People Awakening Team. (September, 2013).Comparative Effectiveness Trial of a Cultural Suicide and Alcohol Abuse Preventative Intervention for Rural Alaska Native Youth: How Intensive an Intervention is Necessary? Presentation at 2013 Native Children’s Research Exchange, Denver, CO.
- Allen J., (August 2013). Promising Alternative Strategies for American Indian and Alaska Native Suicide Prevention Research. Invited presentation to the American Indian and Alaska Native Task Force of the National Action Alliance for Suicide Prevention. NIMH funded work group. Aspen Institute, Washington, DC.
- Charles, B. A., Rasmus, S., & Allen, J. (August 2013). Qasgiq (kuz-geek) Model for Community Engagement in Yup’ik Alaska Native. Invited faculty presentation to NIMHD 2013 Translational Health Disparities Course; Integrating Science, Practice, and Policy, CBPR. NIH, Bethesda, MD.
- Allen, J., Oney, R., Kelly, M., Charles, B., Rasmus, S., Fok, C.C.T., Henry, D., & People Awakening Team. (August, 2013). Outcomes of a Rural Alaska Native Youth Suicide and Alcohol Abuse Preventative Intervention. In Rivkin, I. & Trimble, J. Formative Research to Build Understanding for Culturally-Resonant Indigenous Interventions. Symposium presentation at American Psychological Association Annual Convention, Honolulu, HI.
- Allen, J., Fok, C.C.T., Henry, D., Rasmus, S., Charles,B., Oney, R, & People Awakening Team. (May, 2013).Contextual Effects in a Community Intervention to Prevent Suicide and Alcohol Abuse Risk with Yup’ik Alaska Native Youth. 21st Annual Meeting of theSociety for Prevention Research, San Francisco, CA.
- Allen, J. & Walls, M. (April, 2013). Community Perspectives on Indigenous Youth Suicide: Risk, Hope and Resilience, in invited Plenary Session Suicide and Suicide Prevention in Native North America. 46thAnnual Conference of the American Association of Suicidology, Austin, TX.
- Allen, J. Rasmus, S., & Charles, B. (December, 2012). Elluam Tungiinun-Toward Wellness. NIMHD 2013 Health Disparities Summit, Washington DC.
- Allen, J., Fok, C. C. T., Henry, D., Skewes, M., & People Awakening Team. (July 2012). Consequential Validity and Ethical Considerations in Alcohol Assessment: Multidimensional Assessment of Reflective Processes among Rural Yup’ik Alaska Native Youth. Native Health Research Conference, Seattle, WA.
Academic Interests and Focus
- I currently teach medical students in the areas of cultural competency training, population health, integration with behavioral health, and rural health. I have previously taught undergraduate lifespan developmental psychology, abnormal psychology, cross-cultural psychology, community psychology, and senior seminar, and graduate courses in rural psychology, multicultural psychological assessment, multicultural psychotherapy, ethnicity and family therapy, multicultural psychopathology, and community interventions for serious mental illness.